It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required. Winston Churchill
Perseverance is the critical element that gets the winner to the finish line every time. Changing your life is hard work, so what do you do when your energy is flagging and it seems like there’s a setback at every turn?
In this 4 part series on perseverance, I offer some tips and tactics to help you go the distance, to persevere toward your big-picture vision. Perseverance requires that you understand that sometimes you need to cut yourself some slack, back off of your goals, and just take care of yourself. Other times you need to give yourself a swift kick in the rear to stay on track. Whether you need help in pulling back or ramping up, go through these tips and see which ones might work for you. Just keep one foot in front of the other and you’ll make it!
11. Do some uncensored brainstorming with a couple of friends around an issue where you feel stuck.
12. Pick a negative thought or action in which you habitually indulge and commit to stopping today. If you frequently tell yourself or others that you’re fat, decide never to say that again and stick to it. Have your friends and family fine you if you break your rule.
13. Treat yourself to something that feels luxurious, even if it’s only a supermarket bouquet or an inexpensive CD.
14. Explain one of the tools you’ve learned, like tapping into your creativity, to a child. Then indulge in whatever you’ve described.
15. Have a success party to celebrate having completed a small action step or an overall goal. Make sure it suits your budget and style, whether it’s cake and coffee at home or a fancy night on the town. Invite your genuine supporters to join you.