Friends: people who know you well, but like you anyway. Unknown
In this 2 part post, I listed some ideas I have seen on what it takes to be a better friend. Would love to hear you ideas or suggestions to add to or improve this list.
13. Accept the person as they are, as an individual, without conditions. Also, as important as it is for you to be there for them, sometimes you have to be willing to let them be there for you.
14. Remain friends despite a person’s choices in life and don’t bail on them when they aren’t who you want them to be.
15. A true friend always supports the person but doesn’t feel compelled to support the situation. A true friend knows how and when to say the firm, No.
16. Help yourself and those closest to you grow. To live means to grow, and a true friend is someone that you can honestly say has helped define you as an individual.
17. Celebrate the wins and being there to support the losses. Keep your word and acknowledge it when you don’t.
18. Walk in to a friend’s aid when others are walking out.
19. Don’t hold grudges over petty disagreements.
20. Show up! You can pretend to care but you cannot pretend to show up.
21. A true friend is someone you feel as comfortable with as you do when you are by yourself. No illusions, no holding back.
22. Be there for the other person in the same way you would be there for yourself. Granted, if you can’t be there for yourself, that’s probably something you should address first.
23. Don’t let your own stuff get in the way. The ego is powerful.
24. Know someone’s least admirable characteristics and still love and support them.