FIRST read your order!!!

Keep a denial journal to get all your child custody visitation.  Knowing what your visitation rights are is essential to using a denial journal.

If you have lost your order, it is available through the Clerk of the District Court in which your case was heard.

As a rule you DO NOT have to call before you exercise your visitation. Just show up.


In order to increase your success in getting all your visitation, knowing what to take with with you will make it easier to keep a denial journal to get all your child custody visitation.  Take with you the following>

  • A copy of your order
  • A witness
  • Your journal
  • A copy of our Warning to Parents


to effectively keep a denial journal to get all your child custody visitation, maintain a journal of the dates and times when you are actually denied visitation/possession of your child(ren.) Maintaining an accurate journal is necessary before you can enforce your visitation/possession rights in court. The journal must also be kept at the same time as the denials occur. In other words, you should make your journal entries as soon as possible after each actual denial so the event is recorded while still fresh in your mind. AN actual denial is when you physically go to the place where you are supposed to meet or pick up your child(ren.) This does not include when you are told over the telephone that you will be denied before the scheduled date and time.

It is also very helpful to your attorney to use a book sized calendar for your journal because the times are already written in the calendar and it makes it easier to compare the calendar to the court order which outlines when you are to have visitation/possession with your child(ren.)

It is very important to have a witness present at the denial. You should use someone who will be available to testify in court if necessary. Keep that person’s name, address and phone number. It is preferred, if you are a man, that you use another man as your witness—-if you are a woman, another woman.


Even if you keep a denial journal to get all your child custody visitation, if things get ugly YOU MUST RETREAT. If you know the child(ren) were at the location, and there is a police station nearby, go and see if a police officer will “stand by” while you pick up your kids. See if you can pick up the children at a convenient place that is away from the other parent’s home, such as an aunt or grandparent’s home. If the court finds there has been fighting at the pick-up and drop-offs, it may order you to exchange the child(ren) at a for-pay facility, and that will cost you money.

Your journal/calendar must include the following information in order for it to be of any use to your attorney in enforcing your visitation/possession rights in court:

  • Date of Denial
  • Time of Denial
  • What occurred at the denial (e.g. no one answered the door, you were told to go away, you were told your child(ren) were not home, etc.)
  • Name of any witnesses of the deniaGo to my website if you want more information about the services we provide regarding divorce and child custody