Steps to Take to Reinstate Your Suspended Texas Drivers License. This is the third of a 3 part post dealing with this topic

Reinstate Your License

To reinstate your license, you might have to fulfill special requirements. It’s best to consult an attorney for specifics. Also, be aware that some situations could cause a change in your current insurance policy. Check our Insurance Center if you need to shop online for a lower insurance rate.

Generally, here is what you’ll need to do reinstate your driving privilege:

Have ready a check or money order to cover your fees (if applicable) made payable to TX DPS; don’t send cash.

Include your full name, date of birth and driver’s license number.

If fees are required, mail your reinstatement items and payment to:

Texas Department of Public Safety

Central Cash Receiving

P.O. Box 15999

Austin TX 78761-5999

If fees are NOT required, mail your reinstatement items to:

Texas Department of Public Safety

Driver Improvement and Compliance Bureau

P.O. Box 4087

Austin TX 78773-0001

Alcohol-Related Offenses

If you refused or failed a blood or breath test you could face suspension from driving for 90 days to two years. Before the DPS will reinstate your license, you must pay a reinstatement fee.

Those convicted of a DWI will face a suspension period ordered by the court for no more than two years. If you are younger than 21, your license will be automatically suspended for a year. To reinstate you must:

Pay a reinstatement fee.

Get and submit proof of insurance (form SR-22) to the DPS.

If the convicting court ordered you to complete a repeat offender’s DWI education program, forward the certificate of completion to the DPS before your suspension period expires.

NOTE: The state has removed the loophole that if you’re charged with a major driving offense as a minor (such as DWI, you can no longer circumvent the penalties if you turn 21 before your court date.

Drug Offenses

Upon final conviction of a drug offense, your license will be automatically suspended for 180 days.

Pay a reinstatement fee.

Obtain and submit proof of insurance (form SR-22) to the DPS.

Forward to the DPS your certificate of completion for your required drug class.

Traffic Offenses

If you receive four or more violations in 12 months or seven or more in 24 months, it’s possible you’ll license will be suspended. For these habitual traffic violations you’ll have to pay a reinstatement fee.

If you get caught driving on a suspended or invalid license, you’ll have to pay a reinstatement fee and file proof of insurance (form SR-22).

If you violate a driver’s license restriction you’ll have to pay a reinstatement fee.

No Insurance

If your insurance has been cancelled or if you receive a second or subsequent ticket for no liability insurance you must pay a reinstatement fee and get proof of insurance (form SR-22) to submit to the DPS.

Delinquent Child Support

You must submit to the DPS an order from the Attorney General’s office or a District Court that authorizes reinstatement of your license.

Keep Your Record Clean

Having Too Many Traffic Violations

Habitual offenders with four or more moving violations in 12 months (or seven or more in 24 months) could face license suspension. If you are a provisional driver younger than 18, you could get your license suspended for receiving two (or less than four) moving violation in a period of 12 months.

Failing/Refusing a Blood or Breath Test

If a law enforcement officer arrests you for driving under the influence of alcohol, and then you fail or refuse to take a blood or breath test, your license could be suspended anywhere from 90 days to two years.

Driving on a Suspended or Invalid License

If you drive a car while your license is already suspended, revoked or canceled, you could earn an additional license suspension for the same amount of time as the original suspension.

Failing to Pay Traffic Citations in Another State

The DPS could revoke your driver’s license if you don’t comply with the terms of a traffic citation you got while driving in another state.

Driving While Intoxicated

Following a DWI conviction the court could suspend your license for up to two years. If the conviction takes place before your 21st birthday, the court will automatically suspend your license for one year.

After you are arrested for DWI, there’s also the chance you could receive a double suspension if you also fail or refuse to take the blood or breath test.

Alcohol and Minors

If you get convicted of the following before you turn 21, your license will be suspended. For your first offense as a minor you’ll get a 30-day suspension. For your second, you’ll get 60 days. For your third, you’ll get 180 days. Here’s how:

Public intoxication

Misrepresenting your age

Purchasing or attempting to purchase alcohol

Consuming alcohol

Possessing alcohol

Being convicted of any of the above nix your chance for reinstatement.

Getting Convicted of a Drug Offense

Final conviction results in automatic license suspension even if you weren’t driving a car at the time of the offense. The period lasts 180 days, and you’ll also have to complete a drug education program. If you don’t hold a Texas driver’s license when convicted, the state will prohibit you from getting one for 180 days.

Not Being Medically Capable or Medically Approved to Drive

Physicians, family, friends, acquaintances and driver license field personnel can report you to the Medical Advisory Board as having a possible health condition that prevents you from safely operating a car. This could also be reported anonymously or admitted by you.

Your possible medical condition, full name, date of birth and Texas driver license number must be reported.

Failing to Pay Child Support

Delinquent child support means license suspension as ordered by the Attorney General’s Office or a District Court.

Being Involved in an Uninsured Crash

If the DPS receives notice that you were involved in a vehicular crash while uninsured, you are subject to license suspension as long as the crash took place on a public street o highway, and there was injury, death, or property damages of $1,000 or more.

Driving With Canceled Insurance

If the DPS receives notice that you are driving on a canceled policy (while you are required to maintain proof of insurance with the DPS), you could face license suspension. Once you are convicted, you’ll have to have proof of insurance (form SR-22) for two years.

Receiving a Second or Subsequent Ticket for Not Having Liability Insurance

If you are convicted of a second of offense for no liability coverage, you could face license suspension.