Why Medical Directives Are Important
No one likes to think about their own mortality, but it’s an important part of life. By planning ahead for your end-of-life care, you can ensure that your wishes are known and that your loved ones are not burdened with making difficult decisions.
An advance directive is a legal document that outlines your wishes for medical care in the event that you become incapacitated and unable to make decisions for yourself. There are two main types of advance directives:
1. A living will is a document that states your wishes for life-sustaining treatment, such as CPR, artificial nutrition and hydration, and ventilators.
2. A durable power of attorney for health care is a document that names someone to make medical decisions on your behalf if you are unable to do so.
Advance directives are important for several reasons:
● They ensure that your wishes are known and respected.
● They can help to avoid conflict among family members.
● They can help to relieve stress on your loved ones during a difficult time.
● They can help to ensure that you receive the care that you want and need.
● If you have not already done so, it is important to talk to your doctor or a lawyer who does estate planning about the importance of and need for advance directives. They can help you to understand your options and create documents that meet your needs.
Here are some additional tips for creating advance directives:
● Be specific about your wishes. The more specific you can be, the easier it will be for your loved ones to make decisions on your behalf.
● Review your documents regularly. Your wishes may change over time, so it is important to review your documents at least once a year.
● Make sure that your loved ones know where to find your documents. Keep them in a safe place, such as with your important papers or with your doctor.
Advance directives are an important part of end-of-life planning. By taking the time to create these documents, you can ensure that your wishes are known and that your loved ones are not burdened with making difficult decisions.
Text or call us at 972-772-6100 to talk with Jack Robinson about the importance of and need for advance directives.
There is no cost for the initial consultation! Jack does initial consultations either (1) in person, (2) by phone or (3) by using online video meetings. What ever meeting format works best for you will be good with Jack.
Text or call us at 972-772-6100 now!